Do you enjoy working on a variety of planning, development review, and code update projects that support development of the built environment and preservation of natural and public resources? If so, you might consider applying for the Senior Planner position with the City of Springfield.
To find out more about the Springfield Development & Public Works Department, click here:
Position Overview and Key Responsibilities
The City of Springfield's Development & Public Works Department is seeking a Senior Planner in the Current Development Division to implement City policies by applying the Springfield Development Code during land use review of planning applications, performing project management for major development projects, and serving the City Council and Planning Commission while carrying out their planning responsibilities.
Examples of Senior Planner key responsibilities include:
- Performs activities in current and/or long range planning, to include the processing of land use applications and the preparation of comprehensive planning studies
- Conducts research and provides interagency and interdepartmental coordination
- Participates in land use administrative and coordination activities
- Provides staffing to committees and associations/groups pertaining to planning and community development matters
- Presents complex reports with findings and recommendations/ proposals to staff and a variety of audiences including the Planning Commission, City Council and other public and private groups
- Prepares professional reports, maps, charts and other graphics
- Conducts field inspections
- Participates in the preparation of refinement plans and functional plans
- Provides project leadership
- Provides comments and recommendations on pending State land use legislation
- May provide lead to assigned staff
Please review the attached Job Addendums for a more information.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or a related field
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional planning experience in Oregon
- Experience preparing or reviewing all levels of limited land use permits with minimal supervision
- Experience researching, presenting and making recommendations to hearings authorities on quasi-judicial and legislative land use applications
- Experience leading multi-discipline project teams for major developments
- Experience in rezoning, implementation of comprehensive plan policies through code writing, revision and adoption
- Specializations in annexation, inventoried resource management or master planning
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in the field of urban planning, environmental design, geography, or a field that includes sufficient related planning experience, and;
• 5-8 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience (Advanced/ Lead level: Grade C43)
•A Master’s degree may substitute for some experience.
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Licenses & Certifications
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or HR@springfield-or.gov for more information.
Additional Information and Forms:
• Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.