Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Springfield.
We strongly encourage prospective applicants to review the City of Springfield's Recruitment and Selection Process before applying for a position with the City.
If you see the message "There are currently no records to display" it means there are no current openings.
|Posting Number: ||2017-30|
|Job Title: ||Library Associate Manager|
|Closing date: ||12/22/2017|
|Closing time: ||05:00 PM|
| ||Full benefits, including PERS. *Benefit enrolled employees and dependents have access to a free health clinic. |
|Job Class: ||Supervisor/Associate Manager|
|Job Hours: ||40 hrs/wk; some evening and weekends required|
|Salary: ||$29.16- $33.54/hour (steps 1- 4 on a 9 step scale), depending on qualifications. |
| ||Grade C51 (Journey level), Exempt, Non-represented|
|Description: || |
| ||The City of Springfield invites you to become a part of creating the future of its library service. We are looking for an Associate Library Manager to lead our Programming, Marketing and Outreach services.|
Exceptional candidates will be able to: lead, inspire and direct staff; plan and provide service to all ages; seek positive engagement with the community; and use staff and technology innovatively.
Summary of Essential Duties:
• Supervises public services staff
• Works cooperatively with the Library Management Team in prioritizing assignments within the library and for the City
• Researches, recommends, develops and evaluates related programs, publications and materials to align with the library strategic plan
• Researches, monitors, controls and recommends allocations and expenditures related to division budget
• Oversees marketing activities and practices
• Participates in events and community outreach programs, as initiated or assigned
• Selects, develops, and maintains assigned collections
• Provides reference, age-appropriate readers’ advisory, circulation and general patron assistance at the public desks
• Represents the department during interaction with the media, the public, other departments, schools, and various agencies
• Creates, enforces and evaluates library policy and acts in the absence of the Library Director as required.
• Must be able to work day, evening, and weekend shifts as assigned.
Please see attached Job Addendum for additional information about this position.
Education and Experience:
Associate’s Degree or two-year technical certificate in library/information science or related field; 1-2 years of supervisory experience required; and 3-5 years of library experience including program and marketing development.
• Preference for Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science
• Preference for Spanish language skills
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Licensing and Certification:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Library ethics;
• Principles and procedures of professional library work including methods, practices, and techniques of library classification, cataloging, and reference;
• Automated cataloging, bibliographical, and circulation system databases, and other online services and sources;
• Library operations, methods, and policies including standards and procedures for selecting public library materials;
• Materials and services available in public libraries
• Roles of the public library in the community
• Perform professional library tasks in areas of reference, cataloging, collection management and programming to patrons of all ages;
• Operate automated cataloging, bibliographical and circulation system databases.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work. Extended amounts of time standing and/or walking may be required.
Incumbent will be required to travel.
Testing and Selection:
Top candidates will be invited to interview and may be asked to prepare a program proposal or marketing initiative. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for mid-January (second or third week) and candidates will be emailed directly with additional information. All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or HR@springfield-or.gov for more information.
Additional Information and Forms:
•Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.