Are you a creative thinker with strong business acuity? Do you have strong interpersonal skills and a knack for productive collaboration across varying departments? If so, you may consider applying for the Eugene Springfield Fire Administrative Service Bureau Manager position.
The Administrative Service Bureau Manager will serve as the Chief of Staff (COS) for all Springfield and Eugene administrative Fire Department functions. This includes responsibility for all the personnel management and business systems that are utilized to manage the budget and financials for Eugene Springfield Fire (ESF). This position will help plan and implement a business system deployment strategy that will allow for budgeting, financials, data collection, and reporting to respective cities, Lane County, and federal agencies. This COS will coordinate the development of the Department’s strategic plan and will work with staff to prepare for an Insurance Services Office evaluation and national fire and EMS accreditation over the next three years. This position is critical to balancing the authority and responsibility across the ESF senior staff team and will be the civilian equivalent of a deputy chief level senior manager. Additionally, the Service Bureau Manager will be responsible for enterprise fund operations that include the ambulance billing and FireMed divisions.
For additional information about Eugene/Springfield Fire, click here:
The Ideal Candidate:
The Administrative Service Bureau Manager is a non-sworn position and having previous Fire Department experience is not required. The ideal candidate will have experience managing the essential activities of a business and creating or coordinating strategic plans to ensure all business functions are efficient and at peak productivity. This position may advise on projects and be the main organizer of ESF initiatives, so we are looking for the candidate that can stay attuned to the macro vision of business operations. The successful candidate must be creative and results driven with excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills to act as the central contact for all business communications. The ideal candidate will have the ability to compile and analyze data to make informed business decisions and lead with confidence.
• Performs complex analytical and administrative duties including budget preparation and grant administration
• Supervises staff
• Serves as liaison with other departments, program representatives, agencies, and members of the community
• Conducts long-range and strategic planning in coordination with internal and external departments/agencies
• Participates as a member of the department Management Team
• May represent the department or act in the absence of the Department Director
Please see attached Job Addendum for additional information about this position.
Bachelor’s Degree in business, public administration, finance or related field; and sufficient experience as necessitated by the competency level in the position:
• 7-10 years progressively responsible experience in business administration, program coordination, budgeting, data collection, and/or financial management.
• 3-5 years of personnel management experience
Preference may be given for:
• Master’s in Business Administration, Finance, or related field
• Previous medical billing and compliance experience
• Program management experience to include managing budgets in excess of $50 million
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Licensing and Certification:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment.
• Complete the NIMS ICS All-Hazards Position Specific Finance/Admin Unit Leader (FAUL) within twenty-four months of hire, depending on area of assignment.
• Complete the ICS All-Hazards Finance Section Chief training within twenty-four months of hire, depending on area of assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of principles and practices in medical billing and compliance
• Ability to organize and direct large teams of people
• Compile and analyze large amounts of data to present effective reports
• Adapting to rapidly changing environments
• Developing, evaluating, recommending, and implementing processes and procedures
• Learning operations unique to the department and the City
Selection and Interview Process:
As a part of our selection process, it will be necessary for candidates to provide the names and email addresses of up to five professional references (including two managers) that can provide information on work performance. To avoid any delay in the process, we ask candidates to start gathering reference information now (name, email address, contact info and time period you worked together). Additional information regarding reference checking will be emailed to candidates at a later date through the SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360 system.
Top candidates will be invited to interview, and candidates will be emailed directly with additional information. All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or email@example.com.
Additional Information and Forms:
• Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.