Are you interested in a fast-paced office where you can build a professional network while working alongside the staff of the City Manager’s Office and interacting with the mayor and city council? Would you like to develop practical skills that can serve you throughout your career? If so, apply for the Administrative Specialist position.
The City of Springfield is seeking to fill a vacant Administrative Specialist position in the City Manager’s Office (CMO). This position will perform a wide range of advanced clerical administrative duties, engage in a wide variety of activities, and interact with many different people. The CMO has the vital role of ensuring that a common vision exists throughout the City’s service delivery systems, and that citizens are encourage to participate in City government. This position will also be back-up to the City Recorder who provides support to the Mayor and City Council.
To learn more about the City Manager’s Office, click here:
Summary of Essential Duties:
Some of the essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Provide primary coverage for the front desk, which includes phones and walk-ins
• Provide general office support for CMO employees
• Provide back-up support to the City Recorder
• Resolve concerns and complaints, and refer inquiries as appropriate
• Prepare and proof reports, forms, notices, and other correspondence
• Create and process complex documents and reports
• Attend meetings and take minutes
• Process mileage reports for the Mayor and City Council
• Complete departmental budgeting and other financial tasks
• Process vouchers and accounts payable
• Assist with recruitments for various boards, commissions and committees
• Order and maintain office supplies
• Check and follow-up on CMO emails and communications
• Manage meeting room reservations/ billing for City Hall
• Act as the Safety Committee Member and Secretary
Please review the attached Job Description for a more information about this type of position.
Education / Experience:
Associate’s Degree or two-year technical certificate in office administration, business or related field; and sufficient experience as necessitated by the competency level in the position:
• At least one year of progressively responsible support experience in a high-traffic, fast-paced professional office
• Preference may be given for:
1. Previous local government office experience
2. Experience with departmental budgets (ex: assigning funds for accounts payable, purchasing, etc.)
3. Ability to speak Spanish
4. Certified as an Oregon State Notary Public
5. Formal training or certifications related to working in a professional office environment
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Modern office methods and practices, to include computers and related software
• Filing principles and practices
• Report preparation techniques
• English language and grammar
• Inclusive and respectful work place practices
• Data gathering and report writing
• Customer service skills to handle complaints and de-escalate situations
• Prepare and proofreading a variety of reports and documentation
• Making basic mathematical computations
Licenses & Certifications:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s license
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Testing and Selection:
Top candidates will be invited to interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of June 11, 2018. Candidates will be emailed directly with additional information. Those candidates invited to interview will be required to provide proof of 40 WPM, net typing speed.
Free typing tests are available between 8:00am and 5:00pm at Lane Workforce Network, 2510 Oakmont Way in Eugene (541/686-7601). Check in at reception and ask to take the typing to test to get verification for the City Springfield. Typing verification from an Employment Agency may also be used. Online testing scores will not be accepted, unless they are administered by a reputable agency. Free online typing tests such as 'TypingTest.com' are NOT acceptable. The typing test must be dated within the last 6 months.
The City uses an online reference checking solution called Pre-Hire 360® from SkillSurvey. Top candidates will be asked to provide names and email addresses for up to five professional references (including two supervisors) that can provide information about your work performance.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or HR@springfield-or.gov for more information.
Additional Information and Forms:
•Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.