Do you enjoy building relationships and educating the community on matters of water quality and pollution control? Do you have a passion for maintaining high-quality resources for the community? If so, you might consider applying for the Environmental Services Technician position.
The City of Springfield has an opening for an Environmental Service Technician in the Environmental Services Division of the Development & Public Works Department. This position performs a wide variety of field and technical office work in the Water Resources Program, specifically in the Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination (IDDE) Specialty.
Check out the Springfield Development & Public Works Department here:
Responsibilities of this position include:
• Assists in the installation, operation, recovery, and maintenance of automatic sampling equipment, and preparation of samples for laboratory analysis;
• Inspects and evaluates/monitors businesses for identification of water quality and capacity, natural resources issues, compliance with regulatory requirements, spill detection and correction, other program areas of concern;
• Investigates reports of water pollution, and participates in identifying water pollutants;
• Conducts sampling and monitoring activities;
• Examines laboratory results from City stormwater, industrial wastewater sampling, or industry self-monitoring for compliance with local and federal regulations;
• Collects and maintains field data and develops and maintains various technical reports, documents, forms, databases;
• Tracks water quality compliance; participates in public education efforts, pollution prevention and recycling activities;
• Prepares guidance and/or training materials;
• Develops maintenance-related programs and participates in the review of development proposals;
• Conducts special projects of a technical and complex nature; prepares enforcement documents for management signature;
•Evaluates non-domestic waste disposal requests; categorizes businesses and informs them of their requirements;
•Participates in and/or coordinates industry permit processes;
Please see the attached Job Addendum for additional information about this position.
Education / Experience:
• Associate’s degree or two-year technical certificate in the fields of chemistry, biology, environmental studies or environmental engineering with sufficient experience as necessitated by the level of the position;
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience related to water quality, industrial pre-treatment, water quality project, maintenance/enhancement, stormwater management or a closely related field (Grade B23: Journey Level)
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and experience with State and Federal requirements and standards for local, state, and federal water pollution, stormwater and Endangered Species Act regulations.
• Solid background in water quality and soil sampling techniques, principles and procedures.
• Strong working knowledge of local, state and federal water quality criteria and water pollution control regulations as they apply to stormwater pollution control.
• Basic knowledge of stormwater management practices and permitting.
• Basic knowledge of impact of physical and chemical pollutants on the environment.
• Basic GIS, computer and mapping skills.
• Very strong communication, interpersonal skills and tact as applied to interaction with the public in a regulatory context, coworkers, management, City officials, City Council and the general public. Ability must be sufficient to exchange or convey information, maintain an effective regulatory presence, present program related issues to governing bodies and to receive or convey work direction.
• Skill in fostering, developing and maintaining an inclusive and respectful work place.
Licenses & Certifications:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Physical Requirements :
Position may be light or medium work depending on assignment.
• Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
• Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Incumbents may be subject to travel.
Selection and Interview Process:
Top candidates will be invited to interview and candidates will be emailed directly with additional information.
As a part of our selection process, it will be necessary for candidates to provide the names and email addresses of up to five professional references (including two managers) that can provide information on work performance. To avoid any delay in the process, we ask candidates to start gathering reference information now (name, email address, contact info and time period you worked together). Additional information regarding reference checking will be emailed to candidates at a later date through the SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360 system.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or HR@springfield-or.gov for more information.
Additional Information and Forms:
•Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.