The City of Springfield has an opening in our Development & Public Works Department for a Traffic Engineering Technician. This position performs technical office and field assignments in support of traffic engineering studies and projects.
Check out the Springfield’s Infrastructure Operations and Maintenance here:
Please see the attached Job Addendum for additional information about this position.
• Participates in the design and planning of street lighting, street changes, traffic signals, and other traffic control improvements
• Performs traffic engineering tasks using engineering techniques and principles
• Collects and analyzes field data to include traffic counts and accident data
• Utilizes a CAD program
• Prepares construction plans and specifications for traffic projects
• Maintains record systems
• Researches and defines current design and materials specifications for traffic related projects
• Reviews and evaluates land development proposals with respect to traffic engineering standards and transportation practices
• Works and communicates effectively with coworkers, other agencies, consultants, contractors, and the public
Education / Experience:
• Associate’s degree or two-year technical certificate in traffic engineering, transportation, design, electronics or related field, and sufficient experience as necessitated:
• 3-5 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: traffic design, traffic operations, or customer service (Grade B23: Journey level)
• 5 or more years of progressively responsible experience in one or more of the following areas: traffic design, traffic operations, or customer service (Grade B24: Advanced level)
Preferences may be given for knowledge and experience:
• Construction Inspection
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience may be considered qualifying.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Transportation engineering principles and practices
• Mathematics and engineering procedures
• Drafting techniques using a CAD system
• Public works plans and specifications
• Analyzing data
• Collecting field data and performing technical studies
• Interpreting and working from plans, diagrams, sketches and specifications
Licenses & Certifications:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Position may be light or medium work depending on assignment.
• Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
• Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Travel as required to sites to make inspections.
• Part of the work is inspecting field sites which require the ability to walk over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces, jumping over trenches, climbing ladders to get on top of buildings, and other obstacles and working in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
Selection and Interview Process:
Top candidates will be invited to interview. As a part of our selection process, it will be necessary for candidates to provide the names and email addresses of up to five professional references (including two managers) that can provide information on work performance. To avoid any delay in the process, we ask candidates to start gathering reference information now (name, email address, contact info and time period you worked together). Additional information regarding reference checking will be emailed to candidates at a later date through the SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360 system.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
How to Apply:
The on-line Application and Qualifying Questionnaires must be received electronically prior to the closing date/time listed at the top of this job posting. Please review our Tips for Applying page for more information about how to complete your application materials. The “Apply for this Job” link below will start the application process. You are allowed to upload a copy of your resume and/or cover letter as part of the application, but these two items are not required unless otherwise indicated in the posting. After completing the application, the questionnaire(s) and the voluntary EEOC form follow. The last page of the application process allows you to print your application information if you choose. You are not allowed to review your information after moving to the next page of the process.
Before clicking “Apply for this Job” below, please preview the application and questionnaires (both can be viewed by clicking on the links below). Once you begin the online application process you will not be able to save your work and return at a later time. Most applicants prepare their application materials ahead of time using word-processing software and then cut and paste their responses into the online application. The application only allows for four employers as part of your work history. Please use the form (linked below) to include additional work history. Email completed form to HR@springfield-or.gov before the closing date/time of this posting.
Applicants who include a valid email address will receive a system-generated email verifying that the application has been received. If you do not receive a system-generated email verifying receipt of your application, your application may not be eligible for consideration for this position. We recommend that you add our email domain (@springfield-or.gov) to your "safe senders" list in your email software to ensure that you receive communication from us. Please contact us at 541-726-3705 if you have any questions.
Veterans Preference Points:
The City of Springfield recognizes the extensive contributions of men and women who have served in the Armed Services. As a veteran, you may be entitled to preference when seeking employment with city government. If you would like to claim Veteran's Preference points, please submit a completed form (linked below) along with the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date listed at the top of this job posting. You may submit your documents via mail, email, fax or in person (please see form for contact information). If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 541-726-3705 or HR@springfield-or.gov for more information.
Additional Information and Forms:
• Work History Continuation Form
• Veteran's Preference Form
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.